Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Spy....

What do you see in this picture?
Look closer......
A little closer.....
I spy a duck!
Our female Indian Runner Duck made a nest in our front bushes about 3-4 weeks ago. We have a male and female Runner Duck and a male and female Rouen Duck on our farm. We have had them for a year now and raised them in the house when they were ducklings. Now they live outside and spend their days waddling around our yard in a little flock and swimming in our pond. A few weeks ago, we noticed that one of the Runners kept disappearing from the flock. At first we thought that she may have been eaten by a predator, but then she would show back up with the flock randomly. Eventually, she stopped showing back up and I got suspicious so I went exploring. I found that she had built a nest right in the center of one of our bushes in front of our house and that it was full of eggs. At first I thought that the eggs would not hatch, because she had not been sitting on them consistently enough to incubate them, but now that she has been sitting on them for a solids 2 weeks, I am thinking that the newer eggs that she layed, if fertilized, may yield some ducklings soon. I am very excited to see some little ducklings that are born right on our farm. I was always amazed watching chicks and ducks hatch in an incubator at my friends house when I was little. I am also really interested to see what these ducklings will look like since they could have 2 possible fathers. Will they be Runners or Rouens or a combination of both? Only time will tell. The poor Momma duck is so dedicated to her nest. I brought her a bowl of duck food and a bucket of water because she refuses to get off the nest. Anytime I get close, she puffs her feathers up, fans her tail feathers out and hisses at me. She will be a good Momma to her little brood. Check back for updates!

1 comment:

WonderWhyGal said...

That is so cool. I am still debating about getting ducks. The kids have some ducks and chickens incubating in the classroom at school. I told the teacher if no one else wants the chicks and duckling that we'd take them and let them live here at the farm.

Looking forward to the ducklings waddling around your blog.